Caramelized Rockit™ Apples with Maple Cinnamon Cream
Created by: Meg Raines
Yield: 3-4 servings
For a wonderful and cozy fall dessert that comes together in no time flat, bake little Rockit™ apples in a rich caramel sauce until they are golden brown and tender, then top them with a decadent maple cinnamon cream and crunchy candied almonds. Delightfully delicious!
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 8 ounces crème fraiche (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 6-8 Rockit™ apples (enough to fill a 10-inch skillet when halved)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the candied almonds: Spread sliced almonds out on a baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and carefully drizzle 1 tablespoon of maple syrup over the toasted nuts, stir until the syrup has evaporated and the nuts are evenly coated. If you prefer a sweet and salty taste, sprinkle nuts with a small pinch of salt. Transfer nuts to a plate and let cool completely, keeping oven on for the apples.
- Make the maple cream: Add crème fraiche, or Greek yogurt, to a mixing bowl along with the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup. Stir to combine. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Bake the apples: Cut each apple in half and remove the center core and seeds with a small paring knife or melon baller. Heat the butter in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-low heat. When the butter starts to bubble add the brown sugar and stir. Add the apples to the pan cut side down and let cook in the sugar mixture for 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to distribute caramel sauce. Carefully transfer pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and the apples are tender. Remove pan from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and transfer apples to a serving plate cut side up. Spoon remaining sauce over apples.
- Serve warm with a dollop of maple cream and sprinkle candied almonds on top and a dash of cinnamon if desired.