Rockit™ Apple, Bacon and Blue Cheese Flatbread
Created by: Meg Raines
Yield: 2 8-inch pizzas
Whether you call it flatbread or pizza, this creation serves up a delicious sweet and savory meal for the whole family. We used our famous mini Rockit apples on this flatbread to add a little sweetness to balance out the tart blue cheese. But we also love the
Rockit™ apples’ small size because it makes them easy to slice and easy to bite into when cooked. Top the flatbread with some arugula tossed with a light vinaigrette and your meal is complete.
- 1 (16 oz.) prepared pizza dough
- 3 or 4 Rockit™ apples (depending on their size), thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 4 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit..
- Divide the dough in half; set one half aside covered with a damp towel while you build the first pizza.
- On a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, shape half of the dough into an 8-inch round; layer the surface of the dough with the thinly sliced Rockit™ apples, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Brush the apples and the edge of the crust lightly with olive oil, add half of the fresh mozzarella cheese and blue cheese, sprinkle with half of the bacon. If using a pizza stone, either put the cookie sheet on it or slide the parchment paper and the pizza onto the stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
- Repeat step 3 with the remaining piece of dough while the first pizza bakes.
- Sprinkle baked pizzas with fresh rosemary or other herb of choice and serve hot.