Apple Cardamom Tonic Mocktail
An elevated drink that is non-alcoholic and punchy for enjoying any time!
Recipe tips: Chopping the apples into batons helps increase the surface area for the beautiful flavors to develop. Macerate the apples with sugar for 2 days before adding the cider vinegar – it gives you the best rosy color and amplifies the apple flavors. It takes about 5 to 7 days before its ready, but can keep for a month if stored in the fridge!
Yield: 1 cup Tonic base
- 5 Rockit™ apples, cored and chopped into thin batons
- 5 green cardamom pods gently cracked open
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
To Make the Apple Cardamom Tonic:
- Chop Rockit™ apples into batons. Place them in a medium bowl, add brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the opened cardamom pods and seeds. Transfer to a covered jar for 48 hours till all sugars have dissolved.
- Add in apple cider vinegar, stir thoroughly and leave in a cool dark place (eg Pantry or garage) for 3 to 5 days. Every day, give the contents a good stir. Taste it each day from day 3 onwards.
- Once the flavor is intense enough for your liking and all the sugar has dissolved, strain out the solids.
- Store the tonic in the refrigerator for up to a month.
To Make an Apple Cardamom Tonic Mocktail:
- 1/2 cup Apple Cardamom Tonic
- 1 2/3 cup Sparkling or soda water
- Ice cubes, regular and large
- Fill a large mixing glass halfway with regular ice cubes.
- Add Apple Cardamom Tonic, top with sparkling or soda water.
- Stir well and pour into individual glasses with large ice cubes to serve. Garnish with extra apple slices.
Note: Find your own favorite ratios by testing different quantities of Tonic and with flavored sodas too. To make it alcoholic, try adding ciders.