Upside Down Rockit™ Spice Cupcakes
Our mini Rockit™ apples are as fun to bake with as they are to eat, especially when it comes to making individual sized desserts. The caramelized Rockit™ apple slices look like little jewels on top of our moist applesauce spice cupcakes when they are turned upside down. Enjoy this little twist on a traditional apple spice cupcake with a dollop of vanilla ice cream for dessert or for breakfast with your morning brew.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 Rockit™ apples
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- To make the topping: Combine the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until it begins to bubble and the surface appears foamy. Turn off the heat and carefully spoon the syrup mixture evenly into the muffin tin, about 1 tablespoon per hole. Set aside.
- Slice the apples crosswise and lay one slice of apple on top of the sugar mixture in each muffin hole.
- To make the cake batter: In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and cloves; stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl beat (with a stand mixer or hand-held beaters) the softened butter and brown sugar until creamy, adding eggs one at a time and beating until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the applesauce and beat lightly until just combined. Add the flour mixture in stages and beat just until the flour is incorporated.
- Distribute the batter evenly on top of the apple slices in the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes in the pan while you run a sharp knife around the edge of each cupcake to loosen it. To de-pan the cakes, place sheet pan over the top of the muffin tin and flip over. If some of the cupcakes or apples slices stick to the pan simple remove them with a knife. Spoon out any remaining syrup and drip over the cupcakes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days, or frozen for a few weeks.