July 29, 2020
Protein-Packed Roasted Winter Salad
Firm and sugary Rockit™ apples are perfect for roasting. They add a wonderful sweetness to our warm roasted winter salad with sweet potatoes, kale and black lentils. This healthy protein-strong salad makes a hearty main for two or a colorful starter for four.
YIELD: 2-4 servings
Recipe Development and Photography By: Williams-Raines
- 1/2 cup black lentils (also called “caviar” or “beluga” lentils)
- 3 Rockit™ apples, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 large red onion, peeled and roughly cubed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups kale, torn into small bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and peeled
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or substitute balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C.
- Put lentils in a small pan and cover with three inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft but not mushy, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, toss the Rockit™ apples, sweet potato and red onion in olive oil. Spread onto baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, fresh ground pepper and rosemary.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, until fruit and vegetables are cooked through but still firm.
- While the fruit and vegetables are roasting, make the vinaigrette. Place the olive oil and pomegranate molasses in a small bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Add the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until emulsified.
- Rinse and drain the cooked lentils thoroughly, then place in a large bowl. Add the kale and half of the vinaigrette and mix carefully. Set aside.
- Once the fruit and vegetables are done, add them to the lentil and kale mix.
- Add toasted hazelnuts and parsley and mix.
- Add vinaigrette one tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stop, when all salad ingredients are well coasted but not soaked. You may have some vinaigrette left over.
- Plate and serve immediately.