November 27, 2017
Apple Pizza with Walnut Parmesan Pesto, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese
- 1 store bought whole wheat crust
- Walnut pesto (recipe follows)
- Caramelized onions (recipe follows)
- 1 Rockit Apple, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ¼ grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped golden raisins
To make the Walnut Pesto
- Add the walnuts, basil, Parmesan cheese, and salt to a food processor.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil, and process until a thick paste forms.
To make the Caramelized Onions
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onions.
- Cook the onions, stirring frequently until they are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to low and allow the onions to cook slowly over low heat, stirring only a few times until they are a deep golden color, about 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped raisins, stir, and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes until they are sweet and sticky.
To assemble the Apple Pizzas
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and lightly grease a large cookie sheet/sheet pan.
- Roll or stretch dough out to fit onto the pan, about 12 inches round.
- Spread prepared Walnut Pesto on the dough, and then top with the Caramelized Onions.
- Next add the apple sliced to the pizza, and dollop with goat’s cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust begins to crisp and the apples are golden.
- Sprinkle raisins over the warm pizza, and serve!