Apple Meatballs with Shitake Mushrooms
I LOVE meatballs, and I decided to mix it up with some apples. Sure enough, these Rockit™ Apple Beef/Pork Meatballs are a hit! With apples as an added element, it gives the meatballs a mix of sweet and savory. This simple dish was enjoyable to make and only took 30 minutes! I hope you enjoy the recipe, let me know in the comments what your go-to simple and clean meal is to make!
Recipe by: Truong Nguyen
Yield: 15 Meatballs (0.75 ounce scoop)
- ½ Pound Ground beef, Organic – 100% Grass Fed
- ¼ Pound Ground pork (Best Quality Available)
- 1 Rockit™ Apple, Peeled- Apple Core Removed
- ¼ Yellow onion, Large Dice
- 2 Garlic cloves, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. Gluten-free Breadcrumb
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Black pepper
- 1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms, Quarter Chopped
- 1 cup Beef Bone broth
- 1 Tbsp. Dried or fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 Lemon, Juiced and zested
- 1 Tsp. Cornstarch
- To taste Kosher Salt
- Preheat Oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- In a food processor fitted with chopping blade. Add Rockit™ apple, onion, garlic ,egg yolk and breadcrumb. Purée until fine paste. Set Aside.
- In Large bowl, Mix together Ground beef, ground pork and apple paste mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until incorporated, Don’t overwork your mixture.
- Scoop into meatballs and place on oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 Minutes.
- While meatballs roast. In sauté pan, sauté mushrooms till golden brown. Deglaze with Beef Broth. Add thyme and lemon zest.
- In separate bowl mix cornstarch and lemon juice together. Add to mushroom sauce, Simmer till sauce slightly thickens. Season to taste.
Place 5 meatballs in center of plate. Ladle Mushroom sauce over meatballs. Enjoy!
Use wet hands to roll meatballs. This keeps the mixture from sticking. If mixture begins to stick, wet hands again. Repeat till all meatballs are formed.